Emergency housing assistance due to COVID-19

Hennepin County residents who have been financially harmed by COVID-19 may qualify for emergency assistance to help with rent and other housing costs. 

Even though there is a temporary hold on evictions as part of Governor Walz’s executive order, rent and other housing costs are still due. Your landlord may be able to evict you for not paying rent once restrictions are lifted. Hennepin County may be able to help you cover current and past due rent and other housing costs.

You are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible to help make sure you get help in time.

You can apply and receive help multiple times. 

As of Monday, August 24, help for higher income households is available through the State of Minnesota’s COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program. See below for details.

Who is eligible?

You may qualify for money to help cover your housing costs if you:

  • Live in Hennepin County
  • Have current household income at or below 300% of the Federal Poverty Guideline (about $65,160 for a family of three)
  • Lost income due to COVID-19
  • Have past due housing costs or can’t afford your housing costs this month
  • Are not currently receiving Section 8 or other rental assistance

What can funding be used for?

  • Rent payments
  • Manufactured home park lot rents
  • Manufactured home payments
  • Utility payments
  • Mortgage payments for the home you live in

How do I apply?

To start your application, follow the instructions below based on your income and housing status.

Income chart

Household sizeIncome level

Application one

If you are a renter and your total household income before COVID-19 was below the levels in the income chart, apply for Hennepin County’s Emergency Housing Assistance program:

If you do not have internet access or cannot complete the form in English, call 612-302-3160. Leave a message and someone will return your call as quickly as possible.

Application two

If you are a renter and your total household income before COVID-19 was above the levels in the income chart OR you are a homeowner or live in a mobile home, apply for the State of Minnesota’s COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program:

Talk to your landlord

In order to receive rental assistance, your landlord must have a W-9 form on file with Hennepin County. Reach out to your landlord to find out if they do. If they do not, you can direct them to this webpage where they can submit a W-9 form electronically using the link provided below under “Information for landlords.”

You may also like...